Saturday, September 1, 2007

Day 13 - Lake Helen to Pensacola

461 Miles

Got a semi-late start hanging with Ron and Donna this morning. They're always a hoot. Took SR 44 west and stopped to visit a little more with Mom before finally hitting the road about 11:30 a.m. That's lunchtime at Ruleme Place and you don't stand between those old folks and their meals. Mom gets a kick out of helping the less mobile and then helping clean up the table after eating. She just wants to keep a hand in and, if she likes it and wants to do it, I'm all for it.

Pulled out of Eustis still on SR 44 west through Leesburg and on toward Crystal River. Turned north there on US 19/98 branching on US 19 to I-10 at Capps. Took I-10 to Pensacola and landed here about 6:30 p.m. (after a time zone change). Landed is the operative word because I flew...through the rain showers. Had intermittent rain all day on all roads. Usually spotty and rarely heavy it was just enough to make me keep the Tour Master jacket on all day. The theory behind the jacket and the pants is that, should you go down, the first layer needs to not be skin. And with the roads wet I don't take chances. Used to riding on wet roads doesn't mean taking them for granted. The good news was the rain showers sort of kept the temperature down and, with the wind factor, kept me cool for the entire trip.

Entering Inverness on SR44 I noticed the water lilies were blooming on Henderson Lake and stopped long enough to snap a few pics.




Water Lily blooming on Henderson Lake

(Click to enlarge)







Didn't once think of Cottonmouth moccasins as I walked through this cypress stand to take a couple of pictures. (Thought of them at least four times.)






Pretty place.

No comments: