Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 5 - Asheville, NC to Roanoke, VA

243 Miles

Got the call about the bike at 10:30 a.m. They were able to weld the exhaust breaks and it was ready to go. Me too!

The dealership sent a guy to the hotel to pick me up (I'm telling you this is a company that can spell Customer Service!!) and I settled up, very reasonable for the efforts expended, and I pulled out about 11:30 a.m. Not without leaving Eric some beer funds for him and his boys for after work today. They earned it! And I hope they enjoyed it. Thanks, Guys! You make every other motorcycle dealer I've dealt with, save one, look like the pikers they are. There's a Kawasaki dealer in Missoula, MT that provided me excellent service once out there. But even they weren't as impressive as the folks at MR Motorcycle in Asheville, NC. If you're in the area, give 'em some business. They'll earn it!!

Jumped back on the BRP (Blue Ridge Parkway) off Hwy 25 about 10 blocks south of the dealership. This is a nice ride. It's a 469-mile two-lane road built across the tops of the mountains connecting the Great Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah National Parks. Lots of twists and turns, beautiful tree-laden road, tunnels, everything a biker could ask for...except the 45 mph speed limit. I had a few crotch-rockets go by me testing that theory, but, on the whole, most, including me, held it around 50-55 max. In many cases, the road contributed to that speed. I would have liked to have run the entire distance but having lost so much time being sick and with bike repairs, over the last two days, I felt I needed to put some asphalt underneath me.




Many tunnels through the mountains.
(Click on picture to enlarge)














And out again, jiggity-jig








I jumped off of the BRP to get gas in Marion, NC. When I say "jumped off" that's pretty accurate. I took Hwy 80 off the BRP. Now, this is a ride!!! Fifteen miles and drops like a rock from the mountain tops down into a valley. Many, many twists and turns, with many, many very sharp turns bringing you down to second gear and testing the brakes. It's a ride worth the taking.

Gassed up the bike and myself in Marion. Had lunch at The Siena Restaurant. Very good lunch and a lovely waitress who was as nice as she was pretty. Now...I always look, and I rarely comment, but this young lady is absolutely one of the most beautiful people I've ever seen. Sort of a Grace Kelly wholesomeness with brown instead of blond hair. And, as I said, very nice personality. Hollywood, you should check this out. You need to do something about this Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton thing you've got going. This would be a welcome change. Class with looks and charm? Heaven forbid in today's culture.

Took Hwy 221 out of Marion rejoining the BRP at Linville Falls exiting on Hwy 321 to Boone. From Boone took Hwy 421 to Mountain City, then Hwy 91 through Damascus to I-81 just outside Glade Spring. Again, wanting to make some time I rode the I-state. Wasn't a bad ride. Hit some rain but it wasn't very heavy and just cooled things, and me, down. All in all, a very nice ride.

Pulled into Roanoke about 6:00 p.m. and called my friend Claye who, it appears is about to changes horses. She reported she was headed up to Maryland to look at a new BMW. But, then, there was a demo, slightly different color, not quite the color gray she wanted, for $2K less, and then there was a 2006 with only 3000 miles on it for yet another $2K less...decisions, decisions. We agreed to talk tomorrow night and, perhaps, ride together on Sunday. I suspect she won't be on her old bike then. And, I also suspect the new bike will be renamed Fleeter.




Now, one more time, why are they called the Smokies?










Tomorrow: Riding to Gettysburg.

1 comment:

PugletGirl said...

These photos are my favorite of the trip so far. How gorgeous! Very different that my Utah, yes?