Monday, August 27, 2007

Day 8 - Fredericksburg to Raleigh, NC

197.5 miles

Arose early, as usual, but determined to update the blog for yesterday. So, over a cup of coffee and with handy picture editor loaded up, I proceeded to "catch up" to deadline. It's funny, you often don't realize you did so much, or took so many pictures until you go to report your activity. Then you get tired thinking about it. This was like that, it took me over two hours to update for yesterday's activities. Fortunately, the plans for today was to get a grandkid "fix," and that meant only a short ride to Raleigh.


On the side of the road in southern Virginia.

"Hmmm, let's see. Flag waver, no head, no brains, close to Washington. Alberto Gonzales looking for a job, Dick Cheney dove hunting, or George W. trying to find a clue?"





Hit the road around 10:30 a.m. with the intention of visiting Chancellorsville and the Wilderness battlefields. Took the turn, looked at the watch and said, "nope, go get the 'fix.'" Pulled back on I-95 and headed south through Richmond. Took I-85 out of Petersburg to South Hill, then Hwy 58 to Clarksville connecting to Hwy 15 S there. In Bullock I took NC-1342 east to Hwy 39.

The purpose of this route was to pay respects to my Aunt Francis who lived in Townsville for over forty years. She was killed by a driver trying to "make it home before he fell asleep." He didn't, and she paid the price for it. I don't believe there are accidents, or fate; there's only failure to perform, on someone, or somethings, part. Unfortunately, those who pay often have nothing at all to do with the failure to perform.

My Aunt Francis could make a rock grow. Some of my favorite memories in life are sitting around the kitchen table with her, a loaf of bread, a shaker of salt, a bowl filled with home-grown tomatoes, sharp knives, and a couple of big Vidalia onions. We'd sit and eat and talk until I would think I would pop, each bite better than the last. She was the kindest, most gentle, decent person I've ever known. I miss her terribly. But I smile every time the Vidalias "come in" and I can get me some good tomatoes and a loaf of bread. I smile because I think of Aunt Francis. She is to smile for.

Left the cemetery and took Hwy 39 to Henderson, then U.S. 1 south to Raleigh. Finally, I stopped somewhere there's a La Quinta and I can use some of the ga-zillion points I've racked up traveling four days a week for almost nine months. Got a room for a couple of nights at the La Quinta Crabtree in Raleigh. Very nice for a La Quinta, and the price is definitely right.

Had dinner tonight with Wil and Zaine, Lisa and Brian. Wonderful time. Wil just had a birthday and started the fourth grade today. He is one belt away from a black belt in Tai-Kwon-Do and Zaine will start kindergarten and Tai-Kwon-Do next week...and, like her mother, is a femme fatale, drama-queen. Aint' life great? What goes 'round, come 'round. I must be in Lake Wobegon, the woman is strong, the men good-looking, and the children way, way above average. This is good.




Zaine, Lisa, and Wil...my "fix"













Biker Babe









Looking forward to some more of this tomorrow.

Decided on the ride down today I'm going to continue south to Florida to spend a day or so with my mother. With the appropriate amount of luck and logistics, I hope to make it to the guitar-pickin' Friday night with brother Ron and gang. This, too, is a good thing.

2 comments:

PugletGirl said...

We had a wonderful time at dinner tonight, Daddy, and can't wait to see you again tomorrow. Wil wants to hear more about your battlefield visits and Zaine wants more adoration of her princessly beauty. I will just ask for more hugs. As corny as it sounds, I sure missed them a lot more than I thought.

Randy said...

Sounds like the fix is working, as it should. Please tell Lisa I said hello. I did not know how close you were to Aunt Francis. She and Emily were my favorites. She was very kind and always gave you so much love when we would visit with them or they would visit us in Florida. Maybe she is the reason we like tomatoes so much, well, her and mom. Just had some Vidalia onion this morning. They remind me of dad.

I am going to give some thought to the "failure to perform" belief you have presented. I tend to agree with Lisa about hugs. Nothing corny about those brief moments when nothing is said and everything is communicated.

Enjoy the ride, time with mom, guitar pickin' Friday with brother Ron, Donna and the gang, and of course some King's Ribs.